[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
发表于 2022-2-24 02:57:39 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
Jacqueline Woodson
Writer | Class of 2020
Redefining children’s and young adult literature to encompass more complex issues and reflect the lives of Black children, teenagers, and families.

Portrait of Jacqueline Woodson

Title
Writer
Area of Focus
Fiction and Nonfiction Writing
Website
www.jacquelinewoodson.com
Social
Instagram
Twitter
Published October 6, 2020
ABOUT JACQUELINE'S WORK
Jacqueline Woodson is a writer redefining children’s and young adult literature in works that reflect the complexity and diversity of the world we live in while stretching young readers’ intellectual abilities and capacity for empathy. In nearly thirty publications that span picture books, young adult novels, and poetry, Woodson crafts stories about Black children, teenagers, and families that evoke the hopefulness and power of human connection even as they tackle difficult issues such as the history of slavery and segregation, incarceration, interracial relationships, social class, gender, and sexual identity.

In the picture book The Other Side (2001), a White girl and a Black girl, who live on opposite sides of a fence separating a segregated town, defy social norms to become friends; in Show Way (2005), also a picture book, Woodson tells the story of a quilt that was passed down through generations from enslaved ancestors who stitched the route to freedom on the quilt. Through sympathetic and convincingly developed characters and spare, poetic writing, Woodson portrays the search for self-definition and self-acceptance in which young readers are actively engaged. Miracle’s Boys (2000) takes readers directly into the turmoil experienced by three young brothers struggling to survive amid poverty, incarceration, and the loss of their parents. In Harbor Me (2018), Woodson employs a unique structure: the text of the novel is ostensibly derived from recordings of weekly conversations among six middle school classmates from various racial and socioeconomic backgrounds. The conceit of the recordings allows the reader to intimately witness the characters’ efforts to confront their fears, biases, and confusion around topics like racial profiling, deportation, and incarcerated parents.

The collision of memory and history features prominently in Woodson’s verse memoir, Brown Girl Dreaming (2014), as well as in her recent forays into adult fiction. She recounts her childhood in South Carolina and Brooklyn in Brown Girl Dreaming, conjuring vivid images of her grandparents and early friendships against the backdrop of the Civil Rights movement and the struggle for Black power. The novel Red at the Bone (2019) shifts points of view among five members of a Black family spanning three generations. She expresses the enduring trauma of the Tulsa Race Massacre and precarity of Black wealth through the family matriarch’s hidden cache of gold, and the death of a father in the September 11 attacks is a reminder of the hundreds of Black people who worked in the World Trade Center and lost their lives. An inspiration to a new generation of writers, Woodson gives diverse readers an opportunity to see themselves reflected in literature and encourages all readers to look beyond their own experiences and see the beauty in other human beings.

BIOGRAPHY
Jacqueline Woodson’s additional publications include the novel Another Brooklyn (2016); middle grade and young adult books Before the Ever After (2020), After Tupac and D Foster (2008) and From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun (1995); and the picture books The Day You Begin (2018), This Is the Rope (2013), Each Kindness (2012), Visiting Day (2002), and We Had a Picnic This Sunday Past (1997), among others. She is a frequent lecturer at universities across the country and was a member of the founding faculty of Vermont College’s MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults. She served as the Library of Congress’s National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature from 2018 to 2019.

IN JACQUELINE'S WORDS
JacquelineWoodson:“Iwantedtosaytomyyoungself‘You’reloved.You’rebeautiful.You’recomplicated.Youmatter.’IknowthatbysayingthistomyselfwitheachbookIwrite,Iamsayingittoeveryreaderwhohaseverfeltotherwise.”

I don’t want it to be overlooked that for me, it’s been about creating a road where, as a young reader, there wasn’t one. I wanted to see myself in books because I couldn’t believe the audacity of a “canon” of young people’s literature conjuring me invisible. I wanted to say to my young self “You’re loved. You’re beautiful. You’re complicated. You matter.” I know that by saying this to myself with each book I write, I am saying it to every reader who has ever felt otherwise.

杰奎琳-伍德森
作家 | 2020级
重新定义儿童和青少年文学,以涵盖更复杂的问题,反映黑人儿童、青少年和家庭的生活。

杰奎琳-伍德森的肖像

标题
作家
地点
布鲁克林,纽约
年龄
获奖时为57岁
重点领域
小说和非小说写作
网站
www.jacquelinewoodson.com
社交网络
蝵蝡
推特
发表于2020年10月6日
关于杰奎琳的作品
杰奎琳-伍德森是一位重新定义儿童和青少年文学的作家,她的作品反映了我们生活的世界的复杂性和多样性,同时扩展了年轻读者的智力能力和同情能力。在近30本出版的图画书、青少年小说和诗歌中,伍德森创作了关于黑人儿童、青少年和家庭的故事,这些故事唤起了人类联系的希望和力量,即使它们涉及到困难的问题,如奴隶制和种族隔离的历史、监禁、种族间关系、社会阶层、性别和性身份。

在图画书《另一边》(2001年)中,一个白人女孩和一个黑人女孩住在隔离镇的栅栏两边,她们不顾社会规范,成为了朋友;在同样是图画书的《展示方式》(2005年)中,伍德森讲述了一个被子的故事,这个被子是被奴役的祖先世代相传的,他们在被子上缝制了通往自由的路线。通过富有同情心、令人信服的人物形象和闲适、诗意的文字,伍德森描绘了寻找自我定义和自我接受的过程,小读者们都积极参与其中。Miracle's Boys》(2000年)将读者直接带入三兄弟在贫困、监禁和失去父母的情况下挣扎求生的动荡中。在《我的港湾》(2018)中,伍德森采用了一种独特的结构:小说文本表面上来自六个来自不同种族和社会经济背景的初中同学之间的每周谈话录音。录音的构思使读者能够密切见证这些人物努力面对他们的恐惧、偏见和围绕种族定性、驱逐出境和被监禁的父母等话题的困惑。

记忆和历史的碰撞在伍德森的诗词回忆录《棕色女孩的梦想》(2014年)以及她最近涉足的成人小说中占有突出的地位。她在《棕色女孩的梦》中讲述了她在南卡罗来纳州和布鲁克林的童年,在民权运动和黑人权力斗争的背景下,生动地勾勒出她的祖父母和早期友谊的形象。小说《骨子里的红色》(2019年)在一个跨越三代的黑人家庭的五个成员之间转换了视角。她通过家族族长藏匿的黄金表达了塔尔萨种族屠杀的持久创伤和黑人财富的不稳定性,而父亲在 "9-11 "袭击中的死亡则提醒人们注意在世贸中心工作并丧生的数百名黑人。作为新一代作家的灵感来源,伍德森让不同的读者有机会看到自己在文学作品中的反映,并鼓励所有读者超越自己的经历,看到其他人类的美。

个人简历
杰奎琳-伍德森的其他出版物包括小说《另一个布鲁克林》(2016年);中年级和青少年读物《在永远之后》(2020年)、《在图帕克和D-福斯特之后》(2008年)和《来自梅兰妮-孙的笔记本》(1995年);以及图画书《你开始的日子》(2018年)、《这是绳索》(2013年)、《每一个善良》(2012年)、《拜访日》(2002年)、《这个星期天我们有一个野餐》(1997年)等等。她经常在全国各大学讲课,是佛蒙特学院儿童和青少年写作硕士的创始教师之一。2018年至2019年,她担任美国国会图书馆的全国青少年文学大使。

杰奎琳的话
杰奎琳-伍德森:"我想对自己说'你是被爱的,你是美丽的,你是复杂的,你是重要的'。

我不想让人忽视的是,对我来说,这一直是在创造一条道路,而作为一个年轻的读者,根本就没有这条道路。我想在书中看到我自己,因为我无法相信青少年文学的 "典范 "会让我隐身。我想对我年轻的自己说:"你被爱着。你是美丽的。你很复杂。你很重要"。我知道,通过我写的每一本书对自己说这句话,我也是在对每一个曾有不同感受的读者说这句话。
分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖 顶 踩
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 08:41 , Processed in 0.145062 second(s), 19 queries .