[复制链接]
发表于 2022-8-8 01:02:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
Meet Naheed Nenshi, Calgary's New Mayor
By Richard Florida
OCTOBER 20, 2010
Yesterday, Calgary elected a new mayor. His name is Naheed Nenshi. I met him almost a decade ago when he was a participant in a forum on building the creative economy I helped catalyze with CEOs for Cities, Carol Coletta. Here's one of his first interviews since being elected.

Nenshi, 38, is a professor at Mount Royal University. He graduated from the University of Calgary, where he was president of the students' union, and holds a master's in public policy from the Harvard Kennedy School. He's also Islamic; his parents immigrated to Canada from Tanzania. Here's how one account in the Canadian press summarized it:

[W]hile much was being made of Nenshi being what's believed to be the first Muslim mayor in a major Canadian city, experts, supporters and even leaders in Calgary's Muslim community were downplaying the role Nenshi's faith played in his election.

"I think it's an overblown situation," said Calgary Imam Syed Soharwardy, the founder of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.

"He's a Muslim. Yes, well so what? Why does it have to be identified that we have a Muslim mayor? I think the most important thing is we have a new person who has been elected by Calgarians."

Still, Soharwardy couldn't deny the impact Nenshi's election will have on Calgary's cowboy conservative stereotype.

"This sends a very strong message to our country. Calgary is the first major city in North America who has a visible minority mayor, an immigrant son," he said. "I think it shows we are not a redneck city. It shows that we are not biased, that we are not just Christian, we are multifaith and everyone has an equal opportunity."

The issue of religion did not really enter into the campaign debate which pitted Nenshi, a 38-year-old business professor who harnessed the power of social networking, against the perceived front runners -- established alderman Ric McIver and former TV news anchor Barb Higgins.

When asked to confirm that Nenshi was Muslim, one of his supporters replied, "Barely," at his victory party on Monday night.
Here's a campaign video:

Here's his recent TEDxCalgary talk:

Richard Florida is a co-founder and editor at large of CityLab and a senior editor at The Atlantic. He is a university professor in the University of Toronto’s School of Cities and Rotman School of Management, and a distinguished fellow at New York University’s Schack Institute of Real Estate and visiting fellow at Florida International University.
Facebook
Twitter

卡尔加里市新任市长纳希德-南希简介
作者:理查德-佛罗里达
2010年10月20日
分享
昨天,卡尔加里选出了一位新市长。他的名字是Naheed Nenshi。我在近十年前认识了他,当时他是我与城市首席执行官卡罗尔-科莱塔(Carol Coletta)一起帮助促成的建设创意经济论坛的参与者。这是他当选后的首次采访之一。

38岁的Nenshi是皇家山大学的一名教授。他毕业于卡尔加里大学,曾任该校学生会主席,并拥有哈佛大学肯尼迪学院的公共政策硕士学位。他也是伊斯兰教徒;他的父母从坦桑尼亚移民到了加拿大。以下是加拿大媒体的一篇报道对此事的总结。

[虽然人们对念斯是加拿大主要城市的第一位穆斯林市长大加渲染,但专家、支持者甚至卡尔加里穆斯林社区的领导人都在淡化念斯的信仰在他当选中所发挥的作用。

"卡尔加里伊玛目Syed Soharwardy说:"我认为这是一个被夸大了的情况,他是加拿大伊斯兰最高委员会的创始人。

"他是一个穆斯林。是的,那又怎样?为什么一定要确定我们有一个穆斯林市长?我认为最重要的是我们有一个由卡尔加里人选出的新人。"

尽管如此,苏哈沃迪还是不能否认南希的当选将对卡尔加里的牛仔保守派的刻板印象产生影响。

"这向我们国家发出了一个非常强烈的信息。卡尔加里是北美第一个拥有明显的少数民族市长的大城市,一个移民儿子,"他说。"我认为这表明我们不是一个乡下人的城市。它表明我们没有偏见,我们不仅仅是基督徒,我们是多信仰的,每个人都有平等的机会。"

宗教问题并没有真正进入到竞选辩论中,这场辩论将38岁的商业教授、利用社交网络的力量的南希与公认的领先者--老牌市议员Ric McIver和前电视新闻主播Barb Higgins对决。

当被要求确认南希是穆斯林时,他的一个支持者回答说:"几乎没有",在周一晚上的胜利晚会上。
这里有一段竞选视频。

这是他最近在TEDxCalgary的演讲。

理查德-佛罗里达是城市实验室的联合创始人和总编辑,也是《大西洋》杂志的高级编辑。他是多伦多大学城市学院和罗特曼管理学院的大学教授,也是纽约大学沙克房地产研究所的杰出研究员和佛罗里达国际大学的访问研究员。
脸书
推特
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-4-16 14:42 , Processed in 1.069800 second(s), 20 queries .