发表于 2022-4-28 23:13:34 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
BUSINESS
Mad money
By Megan McArdle
MARCH 5, 2009
I hadn't seen this before, but yes, it sure does look as if Bernie Madoff is trying to shelter $62 million from creditors by leaving it in his wife's name.

Bernard Madoff is seeking to keep a $7 million Manhattan penthouse and an additional $62 million in assets, saying they are unrelated to the fraud that authorities say cost victims more than $50 billion. In court papers filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, Madoff and his lawyer claim the apartment, $45 million in municipal bonds and $17 million more in a separate account all belong to Madoff's wife, Ruth.

This is--what's the word I'm looking for?  Oh, right--the words I'm looking for can't be printed on a family blog.  It is true that the money will not do much to make $50 billion worth of investments whole, but a little money is better than nothing, and those investors certainly deserve it better than Ruth Madoff, who has been living high off of ill-gotten gains for years.

Megan McArdle is a columnist at Bloomberg View and a former senior editor at The Atlantic. Her new book is The Up Side of Down.

疯狂的钱
作者:Megan McArdle
2009年3月5日

我以前没有看到过这个,但是是的,看起来伯纳德-麦道夫确实在试图通过把钱留在他妻子的名下来躲避6200万美元的债权人。

伯纳德-麦道夫正在寻求保留一套700万美元的曼哈顿顶层公寓和另外6200万美元的资产,说它们与当局所说的使受害者损失超过500亿美元的欺诈行为无关。在周一提交给美国曼哈顿地区法院的法庭文件中,麦道夫和他的律师声称,该公寓、4500万美元的市政债券和一个独立账户中的1700万美元都属于麦道夫的妻子露丝。

这是......我在找的那个词是什么? 哦,对了--我在找的词不能印在家庭博客上。 诚然,这笔钱不会对价值500亿美元的投资起到什么作用,但有点钱总比没有好,而且那些投资者肯定比露丝-麦道夫更应该得到这笔钱,她多年来一直靠不义之财过着高薪生活。

Megan McArdle是Bloomberg View的专栏作家,也是The Atlantic的前高级编辑。她的新书是The Up Side of Down。
分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖 顶 踩
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 22:19 , Processed in 0.062142 second(s), 19 queries .