收起左侧

2015.09.23 托里-阿莫斯的神奇音乐

[复制链接]
发表于 2022-4-26 07:12:21 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
The magical music of Tori Amos
The designer Hussein Chalayan credits Tori Amos with helping him understand what it’s like to be a woman

Sep 23rd 2015

Give
Hussein Chalayan, 45, was born in Cyprus, but moved to Britain in 1978; he has twice received the award for the British Designer of the Year. Tori Amos, 52, is an American singer-songwriter, now living in Britain, who has received eight Grammy nominations

After my parents divorced, I was brought up by women. My mother, my mother’s mother, my mother’s sister and my mother’s sister’s daughter – I was always around them. One of the reasons I’m a designer is because I always appreciated women more than men. I like to create a confident, empowering image of a woman and I think that what I listen to, what I see, strengthens that journey for me.

So it’s not Tori’s biography or life that interests me – though I know she had a quite religious upbringing in America, and now lives in Cornwall. It’s not that she’s worn my stuff a lot either, though that’s nice. It’s her work. She’s a musician’s musician: the way she combines words and sounds is like poetry, in that listening to it is a physical, emotional and oddly spiritual experience.

I discovered her in the late 1980s. Other people were listening to Madonna, but I was listening to the post-punks, followed by Kate Bush and Siouxsie and the Banshees. I felt that Tori was very much from the same school of thought as Kate Bush, but with her own very distinct landscape.

There’s something magical about her. For me, her work is about perception. She has written about sexual abuse, marriage, love, loss, even tragedy, in a very female, emotionally intelligent way; she explores those ideas but at the same time shares them, so that you become part of the exploration. Her latest album, “Unrepentant Geraldines”, is a masterpiece – all of her experience is accumulated in it, delivered in a way I find very moving. I’ve always believed the role of creative people is to help us think in a different way, and in some respects I like to think I understand women better because of listening to Tori’s music.

illustration stanley chow

托里-阿莫斯的神奇音乐
设计师Hussein Chalayan认为Tori Amos帮助他理解了作为一个女人的感受。

2015年9月23日

45岁的侯赛因-查拉扬(Hussein Chalayan)出生于塞浦路斯,但在1978年移居英国;他曾两次获得英国年度最佳设计师奖。52岁的托里-阿莫斯(Tori Amos)是一位美国创作型歌手,现居住在英国,曾获得八次格莱美奖提名。

我的父母离婚后,我是由女人带大的。我的母亲、我母亲的母亲、我母亲的妹妹和我母亲的妹妹的女儿--我一直在她们身边。我成为设计师的原因之一是,我总是比男人更欣赏女性。我喜欢创造一个自信的、有力量的女性形象,我认为我所听的,我所看到的,加强了我的这个旅程。

所以我感兴趣的不是托里的传记或生活--虽然我知道她在美国有一个相当虔诚的成长环境,现在住在康沃尔。也不是说她经常穿我的东西,虽然那很好。这是她的工作。她是音乐家中的音乐家:她把文字和声音结合起来的方式就像诗歌一样,听起来是一种身体、情感和奇怪的精神体验。

我是在20世纪80年代末发现她的。其他人在听麦当娜,但我在听后朋克,接着是凯特-布什和苏西和女妖。我觉得托里和凯特-布什是同一流派的人,但她有自己非常独特的风景。

她身上有一种神奇的东西。对我来说,她的作品是关于感知的。她以一种非常女性化的、具有情感智慧的方式写了关于性虐待、婚姻、爱情、损失,甚至是悲剧;她探索这些想法,但同时又分享它们,使你成为探索的一部分。她的最新专辑《不悔的杰拉尔丁》是一个杰作--她所有的经验都积累在其中,以一种我认为非常感人的方式传递出来。我一直认为,有创造力的人的作用是帮助我们以不同的方式思考,在某些方面,我喜欢认为我因为听了托里的音乐而更了解女性。

插图:Stanley Chow
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-4-18 12:13 , Processed in 2.439590 second(s), 20 queries .