收起左侧

2015.09.23 他的照片就像问题

[复制链接]
发表于 2022-4-26 07:02:57 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册 与译者交流

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
His photographs are like questions
Scott Schuman, a photographer and street-style blogger, aspires to emulate the mystery and calm of Steve McCurry’s photojournalism

Sep 23rd 2015

Give
Scott Schuman is an American photographer, better known as The Sartorialist, the original street-style blogger. Steve McCurry, 65, is an award-winning American photojournalist. His picture of an Afghan girl with green eyes made the cover of National Geographic in 1985

I first became aware of Steve’s work after I’d been working in the fashion business for 15 years. I was a stay-at-home dad at the time and I thought to myself: “What a great job – to take pictures all day long.” He inspired me to do what I do now.

I actually got to know him a little over the years and he’s not how I expected. He’s very refreshing and modern. He seems so bound up with film photography that you might suppose he’d have taken up digital photography only grudgingly, but he’s not like that. He isn’t precious about his equipment and process at all. I once asked him if he’d ever publish an iPhone picture and he said, “Oh yeah. Of course.” What is important to him is the communication: his images start a conversation. In the old days, with early photographers such as Edward Weston, it was all about photos being printed and put up on walls. Pictures only ever moved in one direction. But it’s different now and Steve is part of that. That communication aspect is addictive to me.

There’s such a simplicity and sweetness to his pictures. He manages to catch pieces of real life but in an elevated way: those quiet, special moments. His timing and technique, his skill with getting the best light and composition, are fantastic. Of course you immediately think of the Afghan girl, but so many of his images have that quiet composition and setting. One of my favourites is of an Indonesian girl standing in water up to her chest, by a fence in a front yard during monsoon season. When you see it you’re worried for her, but she looks calm. That mystery is what I aim for in my photographs: yes, fashion is there, but I also want to pull you in and make you wonder about that person. That is Steve’s special talent: his photographs are like questions.

illustration james carey

他的照片就像问题
斯科特-舒曼,一位摄影师和街头风格的博主,渴望模仿史蒂夫-麦考利的新闻摄影的神秘感和平静感

2015年9月23日

斯科特-舒曼(Scott Schuman)是一位美国摄影师,以The Sartorialist,即最初的街头风格博主而闻名。65岁的史蒂夫-麦考利是一位获奖的美国摄影记者。他拍摄的一个绿眼睛的阿富汗女孩的照片在1985年成为《国家地理》杂志的封面。

我第一次意识到史蒂夫的工作是在我在时尚界工作了15年之后。当时我是一个家庭主妇,我心想。"多好的工作啊--整天都在拍照。" 他启发了我,让我做现在的工作。

实际上,这些年我对他有了一些了解,他并不是我所期望的那样。他非常清新和现代。他似乎与胶片摄影结下了不解之缘,你可能会认为他只是勉强接受了数码摄影,但他不是这样的。他对他的设备和过程一点都不珍惜。我曾经问过他是否曾经发表过iPhone照片,他说,"哦,是的。当然了。" 对他来说,重要的是沟通:他的图像开始了对话。在过去,早期的摄影师,如爱德华-韦斯顿,都是把照片打印出来,挂在墙上。照片只在一个方向上移动。但现在不同了,史蒂夫是其中的一部分。这方面的交流让我上瘾。

他的照片有一种简单和甜蜜的感觉。他设法捕捉现实生活的片段,但以一种高尚的方式:那些安静、特别的时刻。他的时机和技术,他获得最佳光线和构图的技巧,都非常棒。当然,你会立即想到那个阿富汗女孩,但他的许多照片都有这种安静的构图和环境。我最喜欢的一张照片是一个印度尼西亚女孩在雨季时站在前院的栅栏边,水深至胸部。当你看到它时,你会为她担心,但她看起来很平静。这种神秘感是我在照片中的目标:是的,时尚就在那里,但我也想把你拉进去,让你对这个人感到好奇。这就是史蒂夫的特殊才能:他的照片就像问题。

插图:James Carey
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|手机版|网站地图|关于我们|ECO中文网 ( 京ICP备06039041号  

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 12:49 , Processed in 1.036884 second(s), 20 queries .